Friday, November 20, 2009

Hong Kong Fast Food (Updated)


This is the first in a series of food journeys from my Hong Kong trip, so hope you'll keep coming back for more. If you've been to Hong Kong, I'd love to hear about your experiences.

I found it very amusing how American fast food companies adapt their food to suit the Chinese culture. Here's Circle K featuring a Chinese menu:

Big bamboo steamers full of dim sum were constantly replenished. She's scooping noodles for a lunch order, notice her wearing a mask. Hygiene is quite strict in some places especially public transport. Broadcasts warning people to wear a mask and not touch your eyes. I even saw a few women's masks with bows and designs to make them more personal and interesting?

The Lunch Menu is in the left corner of the window.
Always wondered why food courts don't offer dim sum as an option. It's perfect portions for snacking and come in small bites. Many buns have meat and veggies in them so it's a meal. I've noticed their one dish meals have a lot more rice with very little protein. It's not proportioned like before. Guess economy has something to do with it.

Lotus Leaf with steamed rice is a favorite of my husband's, good ones have Chinese mushrooms, very fatty pork, Chinese sausage and yellow soy beans (HK $15 is about US $2.20!).

They even offer fish and meat balls.

Right next door, the stall offered Meatballs in sauce in two large stainless steel vats

and Low Mein (fried noodles) over a steamer of hot water.

This is the closest thing to Fast Food. Most often, at food courts, the food is cooked fresh when you order it! Since it's fried in a big wok over very high heat, it only takes a few minutes. So, it just shows that once you have your food prepped, it's a matter of minutes for the fry and your meal is ready!

We can accomplish the same thing in our home with a smaller, lightweight, cast iron wok over a 12,000 (previously had mistakenly said it was 20,000!, must have been jetlag, sorry) btu portable butane gas stove which can sit on top of your electric glass or coil top. Easy, convenient and practical. This is my personal setup at home.


Love to hear any stories of your food experiences in Hong Kong!

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to a K Circle. But your comments about American food chains adapt to Chinese culture - the McDonald's in Taiwan do stuff like Rice Burger and etc, basically rolled in rice instead of buns - a variation of Sushi perhpas! They also do deseserts that suit the locals. I think some of them also use sweet potato instead of potato as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your Taiwan experience Katy. I think it makes good business sense to make locals happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mentioned a 20,000 btu butane stove. My husband is buying me the one on your site for Christmas! But, that one is only 10,000 btu. Is there a new version? I know it's all about the btus so, what should he do? I'm like a little kid this year. I can't wait for Santa to come. I really, really was a good girl and I want my wok star kit and my honkin' butane stove!

    Cape Cod Momma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn, love to hear you're ready to be a Wok Star and you've been a good girl! Wow, you're very observant. You're absolutely RIGHT, Iwatani swapped out the 10,000 for a 20,000! Serious heat. Need to change my website to reflect this, thnx for reminder. How did you hear about me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilyn, I must have had jet lag when I wrote the stove was a 20,000 btu, it's 12,000! I just made the change in the post. Sorry if I mislead you. It's STILL powerful because the heat is focused in the center (perfect for 15" wok) vs the wide burner on most residential stoves. Plus there's a limitation on how much "oompf" you can get from the gas company. Many noticed my small stove cranks up better than their expensive 17,000 btu stove!

    ReplyDelete

Share your Wok Star experience...or share a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Visit Wok Star

Visit my website for Wok Star cooking classes or my Wok Star Kit.